Sing Karaoke Sober

I think this one was the scariest task I had on my list. Why? Well, I sound like a drowning chipmunk when I sing and since I am well aware of this fact, have only done Karaoke in a group and lubricated with adult beverages.This list item required me to have not one drop of anything alcoholic prior to singing.Instead I downed that other drug: caffeine.

I decided to tackle this one on a night and in a location where the least amount of people would 1) know who I was 2) ever see me again  and 3) were actually good singers themselves. Enter South Jetty Lounge in Hammond, Oregon. Population approx 23.

I had to choose a song I could rock from a performance standpoint so no one would really care that my voice was flat and in the wrong key. (Yes, I can hear how bad I am thanks to years of piano and ear training <sigh> sadly, not much I can do about it). Unfortunately, the KJ didn't have any Hole (aka Courtney Love aka Kurt Cobian's widow) because her voice is about as bad as mine, so I figured I could sound just like her and be ok. So I had to find a new one.


Enter Whitesnake.

Yes, I chose 80s hair god  David Cloverdale as my muse for this list item and Here I Go Again as my song of choice.I had done the song the night before but well under the influence of my red beer but I felt confident I could emulate the snarls, devil horns and high kicks even while sober.

Evidently, according to the drunken patrons filling the room, I wasn't that bad and more than made up for my lack of pipes by my jumping around and posturing.

I celebrated by having a shot of Sambuca. It was pretty awesome.


Comments

Post a Comment