To Kill a Mockingbird


Add caption
I found To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee a novel that appears very forward thinking and modern considering when it was written and where it takes place. I loved Atticus, Calpurnia and Miss Maudie but felt others (like Dill and Uncle Jack) were left hanging. I know Scout is young, but I was irritated by her several times throughout the story.

Was it what I was expecting? Well, in a way yes. I had a faint idea it was about race relations. However, I did not know it took place during the Depression, nor that it was from the POV of a young girl.
Although some of the racism is difficult to read about, because it was written in 1960 and when takes place in the mid-1930s, it needs to be in the story. Atticus' view on life, fairness and equality make the book a must read. I can't believe it took me this long.

Nearly everyone who knew it was on my list was 1) shocked I hadn't read it and 2) more than happy to let me know it was one of their favourite books. Ever.


Comments